Exercise To Reduce Tummy Fat
Staying fit is the need of the hour. We spend hours in the gym and yoga sessions just to shed those extra kilos. Belly fat is stubborn and always the last to disappear from the body. The worst thing about belly fat is it can be easily noticed and pointed out. Is it tough and nearly impossible to fit into that favorite dress?
When one realizes that one has a misshaped body, one begins to feel under-confident and self-conscious. Along with a proper diet, it is important to exercise to reduce belly fat.
An effective diet plan and a good workout routine need to strike a balance to bring the results we seek. Healthy food habits, along with the right amount of exercise will help lose extra fat accumulated around the belly area. The primary concern around health and over-weight issues is the eating habits common among the Indian masses.
We wished we knew did the harmful effects of eating the ‘modern Indian way’! Modern diet (junk and oily food) can lead to long-term health issues like thyroid, high blood sugar level, high blood pressure, etc. To avoid living and to look like you are 40 when you are just 30, one needs a proper health and workout guide and plan. Because belly fat is the last thing to disappear from one’s body, one needs to remain determined. Introducing a few strict lifestyle changes is necessary.
Below are ten practical exercises to reduce belly fat, along with food and dietary suggestions that help break down belly fat.
Before we begin, let us know the real reason behind fat accumulation around the belly region.
It is necessary to understand the root of the problem. Our lifestyle, eating habits and many other factors can be the reason behind gaining belly fat. One of the main causes behind excess belly fat is the wrong diet of the Indian masses. In a survey, it was observed that the Indian people exercised less as compared to their calorie intake.
A little bit of fat around the belly is a necessity for the body and inner organs. If the amount of fat around the belly increases, it causes serious health issues. Some major reasons behind fat accumulation are-
- Overeating- People tend to eat more than the amount of food needed in their body not knowing that the excess food and calories convert into fat which directly accumulates around the belly region.
- Poor Metabolism Rate- This again is another reason for fat accumulation around the belly area. Due to growing age, the metabolism rate decreases. Women are more prone to belly fat accumulation than men. If you wonder why some people eat way more than you and still end up with a beautiful flat stomach with no excess fat around it, you should know that their bodies have been blessed with healthy metabolism rate.
- No Physical workout – If our daily routine does not include any exercise or workout or any physical work, the fat directly gets deposited around the belly area. People with a sedentary lifestyle are more prone to gaining fat around their stomach.
- Genetics –The genetic combination of a person’s body is also a major reason for a fat belly. If a big belly is a standard feature in one’s family, then one is likely to have a fat belly too. The cells of the body carry fat genes in the body.
A pear-shaped body and an apple shaped body will always have a fat belly.
- Hormonal changes- Hormonal changes in women are a major reason for belly fat accumulation. Women undergoing aging or menopause are more likely to have a fat belly. The hormonal imbalance or changes leave a drastic effect on one’s health and among which, a fat belly is a major one.
- Wrong sitting posture- A right sitting position is a must to avoid extra kilos getting collected around the stomach area. One must sit straight so that the stomach remains straight and tight to prevent fat accumulation. Slouching will make the fat gather around the stomach area.
- Sagging muscles- As your age increases your sagging muscles misshapes your belly.
- Psychological condition- If one is stressed or is suffering from any disease, then the fat gets accumulated around your belly area. Stress, hypertension, breast cancer, sleep deprivation are a few of the reasons for fat accumulation. Therefore; eat less, workout and sleep well to lead a healthy and stress-free life.
Exercise To Reduce Belly Fat
- Crunches- Crunches are the fastest method to burn the belly fat. This exercise is the topmost belly reducing exercise. Follow the following steps carefully to perform crunches!
Steps to perform crunches
- Place a mat on the floor and lie down straight.
- Bend knees by keeping your feet attached to the ground together. Put your hands on the back of your head, or you can also put them on your chest.
- Inhale and lift your upper body up from the ground. Make sure you lift your upper body by making a thirty to forty degree angle from the ground. Your abdominal area will experience pressure.
- Exhale and as you go down, inhale again and exhale as you go up. Repeat ten times and do two to three sets.
- Do not put a jerk on your neck as you pull yourself up to avoid any neck sprain. Pull your neck up gently, or keep your hands behind your head.
- Do not move to sit up position to avoid any back pain.
- Side crunches– Side crunches break down the complex fat accumulated around your sides.
Steps to perform side crunches
- Lie straight on your back by keeping your hands behind your head.
- Keep your leg straight on the ground.
- Pull yourself up and twist towards the right with your left leg up. Perform this together, trying to meet left leg cross ways.
- Similarly, pull your left side up and your right knee to meet each other crossways. Repeat for around ten times.
- Vertical leg crunches – Again a useful crunch exercise.
Steps to perform vertical leg crunches
- Lie straight on your back.Keep your hands straight near the sides of your body.
- Lift your leg straight up by keeping both the knees crossed over one another.
- Now, everything remains the same as it is in a simple crunch exercise. Breathe in and as you move up, breathe out.
- Repeat the exercise 10-15 times.
- Twist Crunches- The twist crunch come with a twist. It helps to reduce belly fat along with fat around the sides.
Steps to perform twist crunches
- Lie down straight on your back by keeping your hands behind your head. Bend your knees and keep your feet on the ground.
- Pull your right shoulder up towards the left. Make sure to keep your left shoulder attached to the ground.
- Now, pull your left shoulder by holding the right side of your body fixed on the ground. Repeat.
- Perform for ten times. Increase exercise sets as your body gets used to the exercise.
- Reverse crunches- Reverse crunches are just as effective as any other crunch exercise.
Steps to perform reverse crunches
- Lie down straight on your back on the ground. Put your hands on the sides of your body.
- Fold your legs but keep your feet fixed to the ground.
- Take a deep breath and pull your knees towards your chest in such a way that your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Exhale while you pull your knees up. Raise your upper torso, simultaneously.
- Exhale while you go down. Repeat ten times.
- Lunge twist-Is one of the most efficient exercises to break down the belly fat. Lunge twist is the best exercise for beginners.
Steps to perform lunge twist
- Stand up on the ground. Leave a good amount of gap between your feet.
- Put your right leg forward so that the muscles of your right thighs feel the pressure.
- Now keep your hands straight parallel to the ground.
- Bend your right knee and position yourself as if you are sitting on a chair. Remember, to keep your spine straight.
- Do this exercise with the left leg. Repeat!
- Rolling plank exercise – This exercise quickly helps remove belly fat and the excess fat from the sides too.
Steps to perform rolling plank
- Lie to your face. Your knees and chest should touch the floor.
- Keep your face straight and look in front to keep your spine in aligned.
- Now pull your knees and lower body up so that you rest your body on your toes.
- Stay in this plank position for a few seconds and move yourself to and fro to complete the rolling plank exercise.
You can also try vertical rolling plank exercise where you need to lie sideways and pull your body up by resting your elbow on the ground. Hold this position as long as you can. Repeat with the other elbow.
- Bicycle exercises- Just how we did when we were kids!
Steps to perform bicycle exercise
- Lie straight on your back and bend your right knee towards your chest by keeping the left leg suspended straight from the ground.
- Pull your knee towards your chest and try to meet the knee by touching your left elbow with your knee.
- Repeat with the left leg too, and vice versa.
- Captain’s chair- This simple exercise requires having a sturdy chair around.
Steps to perform captain’s chair
- Sit on a chair; keep your back straight.
- Rest your hands on your sides. Now take a deep breath.
- As you release your breath, pull your knees up towards your chest by keeping your back straight. Don’t bend forward or slouch to touch your knees. Pull up as much as you can.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds. Then, release by moving your knees back to the previous position.
- Repeat several sets.
- The stomach vacuum– The stomach vacuum is an exercise for beginners.
Steps to perform stomach vacuum
- Go on all your fours on the ground.
- Take a deep breath in and let your abdomen be loose.
- Release the breath by contracting the stomach inside. Hold your stomach in as long as you can hold. Release.
- Repeat several steps.
- Side Bending- This exercise breaks down abdominal fat and helps achieve an hourglass shape.
Steps to perform side bending
- Stand straight on the ground by keeping your feet together.
- Stretch your hands straight above your head by keeping them clasped together.
- Bend to your left to put pressure on the fat accumulated on the left of your stomach. Move right. Repeat several sets.
- Running- Running helps in losing overall body weight along with abdominal fat. It also boosts metabolism and stamina. One should start with running daily for at least 15 minutes as a beginner and then gradually increase the duration.
- Jogging– Jogging is an amalgamation of walking and running. It helps increasing metabolism and stamina.
- Walking- Walking or brisk walking is the best exercise to deal with overweight, tension, mental pressure, etc. It works slowly but helps reduce weight tremendously if continued on a daily basis.
- Swimming –Swimming is said to best for reducing weight in less time. It requires a lot of stamina and body pressure which breaks down the fat quickly.
- Cycling –Most of the people resort to cycling to lose their body weight. Cycling also requires a lot of stamina. Cycling tones the lower body.
Foods which help reduce belly fat
Along with these simple and super effective exercises, one must include the below-mentioned list of food items in their diet plan to fight accumulated belly fat.
- Green leafy vegetables
These foods contain several antioxidants and detox elements which accelerate the rate of fat breaking if combined with daily exercise to reduce belly fat.
Belly fat is stubborn and annoying to lose, but not at all impossible. One must introduce healthy habits to their lifestyle and replace unhealthy eating habits with healthier habits to achieve a perfectly toned body and a slim belly!